Dianne Nichol-Brown BSc
28 Sunnyside Terrace
Resume. worked as Lecturer at Houghall Horticultural College on RHS level 2 and 3 courses, plant science , garden design and conservation. Attended two botanical expeditions to the mid-west USA. Author of monograph on Polemonium and other magazine articles. Several appearances on TV and radio, and exhibitor at Hampton Court Flower Show. RHS Gold medal winner. Joint holder of the 3 National Plant Collections of Polemoniaceae (inc Collomia, Gilia, and Polemoniums), Fragaria vesca and Hakonechloa along with husband David, currently running day courses at our organic plant nursery and our award winning B&B
- POLEMONIUMS. The National Plant Collection of Polemoniums contains over
70 different kinds, the most in the world. See for yourself the wonderful variety
you could be growing.
- FRAGARIA VESCA - wood and alpine strawberries.
- NATIONAL PLANT COLLECTION of HAKONECHLOA (Japanese forest grass)
- PLANT HUNTING IN COLORADO. In search of Polemonium species, a glimpse of
many other American natives that have become popular garden plants.
- HERBAL TEAS AND EDIBLE FLOWERS - A guide to growing a range of plants which
can be used fresh or dried and stored to provide organic teas and fresh salads
- COTTAGE GARDENING. -FRUIT ALL YEAR ROUND which can be successfully managed
and pruned even in small spaces to create a garden you can relax in to enjoy
the fruits of your labours.
- GOING GREEN INSIDE AND OUT. A tour of our environmental management from
organic food to tea towels, recycling and choosing ethical products for the
home and garden
- PROPAGATION. A practical demonstration giving hints and tips, and with appropriate
plant material for the time of year, which will be available to take away at
- ORGANIC PEST CONTOL The latest ideas on how to get the better of plant problems,
including examples of plants not affected by them -prevention is better than
cure and saves money too.
- HAMPTON COURT PALACE FLOWER SHOW. Slides from several years showing a personal
selection of highlights of the exhibits, plants and gardens. Tips for would
be exhibitors and behind the scenes stories.
- MAKING A GARDEN The entire garden was concrete and we were to open for the
Red Cross in five months!!!
- BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE. Many people don’t plant trees because they think
they don’t have the room. This talk suggests suitable ones for different areas
and the ‘wrong’ ones to avoid.
- A-Z OF GARDEN FEATURES. An alphabetical stroll through the bizarre,
the delightful and the making of the British garden come through the arch and
see what comes next,
- UNDERSTANDING YOUR SOILS.Hands on .
Other talks by request eg environment, herbs etc, can be booked at short notice. Please let us know if we need to bring our small
Garden visits and tours by appointment,
weekend residential courses WITH MEALS THEMED AROUND THE TOPIC CHOSEN.
sale. Fee is £35 plus travelling expenses at 35p* per mile.
Copyright Polemonium Plantery 2019.